Thursday, March 17, 2011

Basic Truths About The Trinity

Last Sunday our sermon was on the Trinity.  I though it was explained so well that I wanted to share with all of you.

“Trinity” means three in one.   The term “Trinity” is not found in the Bible, but most Christians agree it’s meaning is clear.  The Trinity is one God who externally exists as three distinct persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.  Each one is fully God. 

There is only one true God.  The Father, Son and Holy Spirit are equally declared in the Bible to be God.  Through my BSF (Bible Study Fellowship) Isaiah study this year, God declares himself to be the one true living God over and over.  Here are a few of these passages.
Isaiah 41:4 - “I, the Lord – with the first of them and with the last – I am he.”
Isaiah 43:11 – “I, even I, am the Lord, and apart from me there is no savior.”
Isaiah 43:15 – “I am the Lord, you Holy One, Israel’s Creator, your King.”
Isaiah 45:5  - “I am the Lord, and there is no other; apart from me there is no God.” 
Isaiah 45:6 – “I am the Lord, and there is no other”.
Isaiah 45:18 – “I am the Lord, and there is no other”.

There are several places in scripture where God refers to “us” or “we”.
There are several in Genesis alone --- 
Genesis 1:26 – "Then God said, 'Let us make man in our image, in our likeness, and let them rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air ………' ”.
Genesis 3:22 - "And the Lord God said, 'The man has now become like one of us, knowing good and evil...'".

John 1:1-2 - “In the beginning was the Word (Jesus), and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.  He was with God in the beginning.”
John 1:14a – “The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us.”
Genesis 1:1-2 – “In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.  Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters”.
Luke 1:35 calls the Holy Spirit the Son of God.
Matthew 28:19 – “Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.”

Jesus is God -
There are people who followers cults and are taught that Jesus is “just a prophet”, “a great teacher”, or “only the son of God” – not God.  This view can be clarified by looking at Isaiah 9:6 and Isaiah 43:12.  I could go on and on with scripture references, but you get the picture.  Just open up God’s word and start reading and He will reveal Himself to you. Jesus said himself, "I and the Father are one."  -  John 10:30

God bless you all.

No comments: