Saturday, July 11, 2015

Psalm 23






Psalm 23 is the most popular chapter in the Old Testament.  It was written by David who was a shepherd in his early years, now he is probably much older.  He is at peace and lives in tranquility.  This chapter shows his confidence and satisfaction of the care of his great God.  It shows that God is our personal Shepherd. 

Why is God compared to a shepherd?  Sheep have a natural tendency to wander off and get lost.  As believers we do the same thing.  We have a tendency to go astray. “For when we were controlled by the sinful nature, the sinful passions aroused by the law were at work in our bodies…”Rom. 7:5.  We follow the desires of our flesh and pursue prideful lives.  Sheep are basically helpless without a shepherd.  We too are helpless without the Lord to protect and care for us.

Jesus declared that He is our Shepherd and gave His life for us.  See the parable about the lost sheep in Luke 15:1-7.  We need a shepherd just like the sheep.  Psalm 23 tells us He is our Shepherd who supplies our every need, our leader and guide, and our Protector.

Psalm 23
The Lord is my Shepherd ---- That’s Relationship
I shall not be in want ---- That’s Supply
He makes me to lie down in green pastures ---- That’s Rest
He leads me beside the still waters ---- That’s Refreshment
He restores my soul ---- That’s Healing
He guides me in the paths of righteousness ---- That’s Guidance
For His name sake ---- That’s Purpose
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death ---- That’s Testing
I will fear no evil ---- That’s Protection
For You are with me ---- That’s Faithfulness
Your rod and your staff they comfort me ---- That’s Discipline
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies ---- That’s Hope
You anoint my head with oil ---- That’s Consecration
My cup overflows ---- That’s Abundance
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life ---- That’s Blessings
And I will dwell in the house of the Lord ---- That’s Security
Forever ---- That’s Eternity

The Lord is my Shepherd.  Is He yours? 
Do you have confidence in God’s care as David did?
_______________________________________

If you have enjoyed my post and have found if helpful, please leave a comment or share this post with the buttons below. 

You can also join this site by clicking on the blue button at the top left "Join this site" or you can "Subscribe by Email".  If you follow by email, you will receive an email every time there is a new post.

No comments: