Sunday, September 10, 2023

Introduction to the Gospel of John

John’s Gospel the Truth is here!

This is my third time to study the gospel of John through BSF (Bible Study Fellowship).  Each time God reveals something new and different to me.  So I look forward to what He will show me this time.  Join me each week as I post using the BSF study lessons as my guide.   

You can find in person BSF classes by going to www.bsfinternational.org.  There you can also find weekly lessons.  The same lessons are studied around the world.  In my area we start mid-September, follow the school calendar, and end in early May.

When I start a new study of the Bible, I like to remind everyone about the Bible itself.  The Bible was written by 40 different men over 150 years.  These authors came from all different walks of life from kings, peasants, prophets, philosophers, fishermen, poets, statesmen, and scholars.   It was written in 3 languages over 3 continents.  It has been translated to over 690 languages.   It’s the most widely read book of all time.  Book stores sell over 100 million Bibles a year.  There are over 6,000 prophecies with more than 3,000 that have already come true.  There is no other book in history like it.  It’s one united story that is all connected together.  It’s the handiwork of God.  It is God speaking to us.  This study is on the Gospel of John written by John who was one of Jesus’ disciples.

John is the last of the four gospels.  The gospels of Matthew, Mark, and Luke are known as Synoptic Gospels.  Synoptic means to present or take the same or common view.  The gospel of John focuses on Jesus as a person, His true deity, and His work.  It is the most beloved and distinctive gospel and the most personal.  John reveals Jesus as the Messiah, the fulfillment of many Old Testament themes, and the eternal Son of God sent by God the Father to bring a new relationship between God and man.  He gives the simple message of eternal life.  His stories are so simple that children love them.  If you are a new Christian or new to studying the Bible, the gospel of John is a good place to start.

What we know about John is that his father was Zebedee: his mother was Salome; his brother was James; together he and his brother were given the nickname, “Sons of Thunder”; his fishing partner was Peter.  John is one of the twelve disciple and is known as the “beloved disciple”.  In John 21:24 he tells us that he is the one who wrote the book.

John tells us of the divinity of Jesus right from the beginning: “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.” John 1:1.  He teaches the simple message of the gospel – to attain eternal life you must be “born again” (John 3:3).  His book records the most famous verse in the Bible:  “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.” John 3:16 

He tells of seven miracles of Jesus known as the seven signs:

John 2:1-11 – Jesus changing water into wine
John 4:46-54 – Jesus healing the royal official’s son
John 5:1-15 – Jesus healing the paralyzed man at the pool of Bethesda
John 6:1-15 – Jesus feeding the 5,000
John 6:16-21 – Jesus walking on water
John 9:1-41 – Jesus healing the blind man
John 11:1-44 – Jesus resurrecting Lazarus

He records seven “I am” statements” Jesus used to describe Himself:

John 6:35, 48“I am the bread of life”
John 8:12, 9:5 I am the light of the world”
John 10:7, 9“I am the gate”
John 10:11, 14“I am the good shepherd”
John 11:25“I am the resurrection”
John 14:6“I am the way, the truth, and the life”
John 15:5“I am the true vine”

Jesus also identifies Himself as God:

John 4:26“I who speak to you am he”
John 8:58“Before Abraham was born, I am”
John 10:28“I give them eternal life”
John 10:30“I and the Father are one”

John even tells us his purpose for writing the book:  “But these are written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.” John 20:31

John ends his gospel by saying:  “Jesus did many other things as well.  If every one of them were written down, I suppose that even the whole world would not have room for the books that would be written.” John 21:25

Principle:  Jesus, fully human and fully divine, makes known the invisible God.

So hold on!  You’re in for a life-changing study in the Gospel of John.

Next week we will start with the first chapter of John.  Hope to see you here. -- I encourage you to trust in Jesus.

__________________________________________

 

If you have enjoyed my post and have found if helpful, please leave a comment or share this post with the buttons below. 

 

No comments: